These days, many of us find ourselves in the position of taking meeting minutes without a clue of how to go about it. The following is a guide for making this task easier:
- Make sure that all of the essential elements are noted, such as type of meeting, name of the organization, date and time, name of the chair or facilitator, main topics and the time of adjournment. For formal and corporate meetings include approval of previous minutes, and all resolutions.
- Prepare an outline based on the agenda ahead of time, and leave plenty of white space for notes. By having the topics already written down, you can jump right on to a new topic without pause.
- Prepare a list of expected attendees and check off the names as people enter the room. Or, you can pass around an attendance sheet for everyone to sign as the meeting starts.
- To be sure about who said what, make a map of the seating arrangement, and make sure to ask for introductions of unfamiliar people.
- Don't make the mistake of recording every single comment, but concentrate on getting the gist of the discussion and taking enough notes to summarize it later. Remember that minutes are the official record of what happened, not what was said, at a meeting.
- Use whatever device is comfortable for you, a notepad, a laptop computer, a tape recorder, a steno pad, shorthand. Many people routinely record important meetings as a backup to their notes.
- Be prepared! Study the issues to be discussed and ask a lot of questions ahead of time. If you have to fumble for understanding while you are making your notes, they won't make any sense to you later.
- Don't wait too long to type up the minutes, and be sure to have them approved by the chair or facilitator before distributing them to the attendees.
- Don't be intimidated, you may be called upon many times to write meeting minutes, and the ability to produce concise, coherent minutes is widely admired and valued.
Example of Minutes Format
Name of Organization:
Purpose of Meeting:
The example minute of meeting
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
INSTITUTE OF PRODUCT DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING
Minutes of a meeting of the English Day for L01 Professional Communication 1 committee was held at the Student Hub on Wednesday,26 January 2011 at 09.30 am.
Mohd Shariful Azman
Nor Mohd Zulfaqar Bin Baharudin
Abu Dzar Bin Baharom
Norain Binti Mesron
Nursyamime Binti Zulkafli
The chairperson opened the meeting at 09.40 am.
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
No previous meeting.
3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The Chairman asked to proceed the meeting due to no previous meeting.
4. BRAINSTORMING ACTIVITIES FOR ENGLISH DAY
• 1st IDEA-UniKL IPROM EXPOSED ROAD SHOW
This activity was suggested by Mr.Azman. to guide especially students
from Matriculation, Diploma or STPM to further their study in Bachelor/
• 2nd IDEA-CARNIVAL GAMES
It was suggested by Mr.Zulfaqar. propose 2 types of games during
Academic Week which is Main Games (Snake Checker Box) and Mini
Games (Guess Card, Pyramid Apple, Play in 60 seconds, Dart).
• 3rd FORUM / SEMINAR
It was suggested by Ms. Syamime. For the forum, she suggest to make
a forum about enhancing interpersonal skill by invite a speaker.
• 4th IPROM GREEN DAY
It was suggested by Mr. Abu. For this activity, all students are going to be
teaching in recycling all item and how to make our world become a green
and healthy world.
• 5th REMOTE CONTROL CAR RACING COMPETITION
It was suggested by Mr.Azman The participants are required to bring
Their own control car. Each entry will be charged RM2.
• 6th COLOURING COMPETITION
It was suggested by Ms.Norain She will draw a picture of car. The
participants just required to color it. The color properties will be provided.
- Giving information the advantage of event
- Giving Prize for the games event
5. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
There was no other business
6. DATE AND TIME FOR THE NEXT MEETING
It was agreed that the next meeting was held at the Student Hub on
Wednesday, 26 January 2011 at 09.30 am.
Meeting was adjourned at 12.30pm.
Confirmed by Date:
Mr.Mohd Shariful Azman Bin
Recorded by Date:
Nursyamime Binti Zulkafli